Friday, October 22, 2010

Blog Entry #5: Halo Be Thy Name!

According to Microsoft, "Halo 3," their latest installment of the widely popular video game, "rang up a record-smashing $170 million in retail sales within its first 24 hours in U.S. stores (Los Angeles Times). This does not even account for international sales!!


This astounding figure is comparable to top grossing movie releases. In fact, Halo 3 did better than "Spider-man 3," which only grossed $151 million at the box office in its opening weekend.


This phenomenon may point to a trend within entertainment for the youth market. Could this mean that video games are growing more popular than movies for people your age? In your opinion, what do you think is more entertaining: movies or video games? Why? Please explain in 200-300 words and give examples. Youmay add your own images.





VS




In my opinion, even though I love watching movies, I think that video games are better than movies. Because better topics can be talked about with video games other than movies. When people finish watching a movie, whether the movie sucked or not, they talk about which parts they liked, and which characters they hated, and then they compare it to other movies. When people play video games, they talk about the same things as they do for movies but they also talk about what happened in the game, what boss they beat, what level they stopped at, and what decisions they’ve made along the game because in video games, decision’s a MUST. Like in this game called inFamous, the main character (which is the person with the controller) chooses whether he wants to be the hero or the villain. As for me, when I played the game, I chose to be the villain and was referred to as “inFamous.” Making our decisions in video games help make the story better…or bad. This reminds me to mention that many video games’ stories are much better than the movies. A lot of award-winning movies go unknown as they grow old while video games, like Super Mario, which I think is almost my age, is still alive and it has good stories that are no longer just a 2-3 page summary in the booklet.

2 comments:

  1. I do agree with you on how video games give you free reign for you to actually decide what's going to happen with your character. You get to decide what they should say, when they should run, how should they dress, etc. This kind of creative freedom is always appealing to many. What I don't agree on though is how you mentioned some movies, as they age, will be forgotten, while video games live on forever. I don't think this is true because there are MANY movie classics, like Casablanca, that are still being enjoyed today! Also, not all adults like to play with video games, which is why movies are still very appealing.

    -Jercy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too like video games for the ability to have control of the characters. What they do, say, or even dress is up to you. Unlike at the movie theatre where I scream at the screen for going into a room where the killer is, in video games I can control where my character goes. It's true that movies may be forgotten, but video games can go on for ages. Like jercy said, video games is not appealing to all ages, unlike movies.

    ReplyDelete